Employee Spotlight- Lela Colburn


Our top-notch employees are what make our Six Award Winning hotels in St. Robert MO so great.  We have many exceptional employees that make our hotels stand out amongst its competitors and today we will feature one of them.  Our hotels near Fort Leonard Wood MO operates at such a high level due to the leadership of our Liberty Lodge General Manager, Lela Colburn.  Here are a few fun facts about Lela Colburn to get to know her a bit.  

Learn About Lela Colburn


Q. How did you get started with Fort Wood Hotels?

A. 
 I have a nursing background and I started off working in the Home Health field out of Rolla, Missouri when I moved to the area. I found myself getting burned out with driving to three different counties for work every day, so I knew it was time to make a change. In 2003, I met a beautiful woman named, Virgie Mahan, and she suggested I talk with the manager, Jean Chambers about working for Fort Wood Hotels. I did and was interviewed to work at the Comfort Inn by Belinda Thelkeld (housekeeping manager at the time). The job was very convenient to my townhome which was just behind the hotel. I began my career with this company as a housekeeper from eight months. I then moved to the front desk and breakfast attendant position until June 2005. At this time, Fort Wood Hotels opened MainStay Suites and promoted me to operations manager where I continued to work until February 2013. I was again promoted to my current position, General Manager of Liberty Lodge. Today, I have been with the company for 15 years and 8 months. 


Q. What brought you to the St. Robert, Missouri area?

A. I moved to the St. Robert area in 2000 to be closer to my family. I never thought Missouri would be the state I would settle down in, but I here I am.  It has now been 19 years in the area.

Q. What are some of your favorite things to do when you are not at work?

A. I love to spend all my time with my grandson, Austin! He is our whole world! We love watching him grow and learn new things. If we aren't with Austin, we utilize our right to bear arms by practice shooting. It is just so thrilling to hit a target. We also love riding motorcycles and enjoying our vintage cars. We enjoy attending car shows and cruise-ins. To see all the work that these people put into their cars in just incredible.  


Q. What do you like most about your job?

A. We have such a great company that truly cares and gives back to the community. I work with the most amazing, caring people and it makes coming to work every day easy. Coming to work and doing my part is my way to give back to such a great company. Having a second work-family gets me excited and pumped to take care of all our graduating families, soldiers, travelers and ever some local guests.  






Q. What did you want to be when you grew up?

A.  I always wanted to be a nurse, which I did accomplish. However, my present job with hospitality is very similar to my nursing job. Always taking care of someone, just in a different circumstance. We assist our guests with directions, places to go and visit.  


Q. What is something very few people know about you?

A. I am one of six kids in my family. I was the fifth born out of the six of us and all of us are girls. NO BOYS. 


Q. Tell us about your family?

A. My most favorite is my significant other, Calvin. He owns his own welding business in town. Belinda Threlkeld made it possible for us to meet each other and I pray God blesses her every day for intoducing us. I also have one smart, loving, beautiful daughter, Taylor Brynn. She is the most doting mother of my most handsome grandson, Austin. 



Q. What activities are you involved with outside of work?


A. Since joining the Fort Wood Hotels team, I have been involved with the American Cancer Society yearly walk. It means so much to be a part of this team. I volunteered with the USO, and the Wounded Warriors. It is an honor to serve the community and give back. 


Thank You, Lela Colburn, For Your Hard-Work!

Fort Wood Hotels is honored to have such an outstanding individual on our team.  Lela Colburn's dedication and work ethic continues to set the bar at Fort Wood Hotels.  We are lucky to have such an outstanding team member.


STAY WITH US AT FORT WOOD HOTELS


Whether you stay for a weekend or a week, we know you will have plenty to keep you busy. Plan your next great trip to St. Robert MO, and stay a few days. We have so much to see! Fort Wood Hotels has six different properties to choose from and we will find exactly what you need for your visit. Just make sure you choose one of our hotels near Fort Leonard Wood as your place to stay. Fort Wood Hotels has been serving guests and communities in and around the Fort Leonard Wood Missouri area since 1999. We are absolutely committed to ensuring that your stay is as special as the reason you are here. 

Staying for a day...a week...or a month?  We've got you covered!




Make sure to follow all our social media channels:

Reservations: 573-451-3678

Sales Office: 573-451-3203

sales@fortwoodhotels.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What People Love Most About Comfort Inn in St. Roberts/Fort Leonard Wood

Breweries to Enjoy in the Fort Leonard Wood Area

Get More Amenities at Our MainStay Extended Stay Hotel!